The recipe for our tasty taco mince is very similar to our Bolognese (in the recipe section). The only difference is that we add a few spices. Our trick, is to double the amount of Bolognese we make, then use half of it for tacos later in the week. A great time saver! You can even freeze the mince for up to 2 weeks if you don't need it all straight away.
Ingredients (serves 4)
8 - 12 taco shells
1 tbsp garlic infused olive oil
400g chopped tomatoes
1 red pepper (diced)
3 - 4 spring onions, green part only (chopped)
400g beef mince (ideally lean, grass fed)
2 tbsp tomato purée
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
A pinch of salt and pepper
100g cheddar cheese
1 - 2 chilies
Sour cream or lactose free alternative (optional)
1. Heat 1 tbsp garlic infused oil in a pan, on a medium heat.
2. Add the spring onions and cook for 2/3 minutes, until softened.
3. Add the mince and cook until browned, stirring regularly so it separates and does not stick together.
4. Put in the diced peppers and cook for a further 4/5 minutes.
5. Pour in the chopped tomatoes and add the purée, spices and a pinch of salt and pepper.
6. Stir all the ingredients together and bring to the boil.
7. Reduce to a low heat, cover and allow to cook for 30/40 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
8. When the mince is ready, place the taco shells in a preheated oven for a few minutes (instructions vary, so please refer to packet)
9. Place your mince inside your tacos and add your choice of toppings - grated cheese, squeeze of lime juice, chopped chili, sour cream...
Great accompanied by a side salad of leafy greens!