Gorgeous Green Rice
This healthy, green rice is deceptively tasty and a great meal on it's owner or a versatile companion to other dishes, such as fish or lamb. The spinach, dill and lemon gives the rice such a fresh and new flavour. Add some pine nuts and you'll have brought some plain rice into a flavoursome dish that will leave you coming back for more.
50ml extra virgin olive oil
300g basmati and wild rice
300g spinach, finely chopped
4-5 spring onions (green bit only), finely chopped
A bunch of dill, finely chopped
(600ml water to boil the rice in)
- Wash the rice until water runs clear. Drain the water.
- Heat up the oil in a large saucepan, then add the spring onions (green bit) and cook gently for a 1-2 minutes
- Stir in the rice and add 600ml water. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the rice is almost cooked (about 15 minutes or until all the water is almost absorbed)
- Add the dill and the spinach. Combine and mix thoroughly.
- Continue cooking for a few more minutes until the rice is completely cooked and the water is absorbed
- Squeeze over the juice of a lemon and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.